How to Add Value to Your Home
Home > Sell > How to Add Value to Your Home
Here are a few simple things you can do to add value to your property before placing it on the market. The more you can do yourself the more you can save and the more of the following tips you follow the greater the opportunity to increase the value of your property as well as potentially shortening the time on the market!
- Paint! It’s not a dirty word but can transform the feeling in the entire property when selling. If you are attempting yourself then always do the basics well, preparation is everything when it comes to painting. Even if the walls are in good condition washing them and then just painting the door and window frames just freshens the entire house.
- Flooring. New carpet in the bedrooms and high traffic areas can be an inexpensive way of brightening your property. Vinyl can be an inexpensive item to replace and if you have tiles make sure they are sparkling.
- Kitchens are the heart of any home and more and more these days this is one of the biggest "on-off" buttons for people buying a home. Full replacements can be very expensive and then there is the DIY flatpack versions which cost considerable less than custom. Even simple things like changing the splashback and putting new tapware will bring life to this very important space in your home.
- Bathrooms can also be an expensive area to completely change so instead think about changing the handbasin, toilet, cistern and tapware. Ensuring the grout is clean or if it is badly discolour purchase a grout pen and simply refresh the grout, it’s something you can do and its inexpensive. Discoloured tiles can be ugly and rather than replacing them ask your local hardware store about tile paint. There are some amazing products available now and again its something you can do yourself.
- Light switches will freshen and modernise your property and if you are thinking of replacing them always get a professional to do the job. Homes built in the last 30 years or so will have electric light switches that have cover plates that are very easy to replace and a definite DIY job. Take one of the cover plates to your local hardware store or electrical store they will be happy to assist.
- Gardens and lawns. This is a no brainer for making a property look and feel like home. Mow lawns the day before or on the day of your open home. Trim hedges and sweep paths. Remember this is the very first impression potential buyers are going to have and sometimes it is the impression that lasts.